Tuesday, April 19

Where Was I?

Ten years ago today, where was I?

Well, I was in elementary school in Oklahoma. I was in the fourth grade and in reading class at the time of OKC Bombing on April 19, 1995.

I remember the teachers telling us what happened. I remember wearing a blue ribbon for weeks after the attack, in memory of those who were lost.

I remember my first visit to the site of the bombing. The first time I saw the memorial site, the survivor tree, and the note spray-painted on the wall by the rescuers. And the first time I saw the museum, with its pieces of clothing and other artifacts that were found in the rubble of what was the Alfred. P. Murrah Federal Building. The sound areas with recorded screams of terror that were heard that day on the streets of Oklahoma City.

The memorial they've built is absolutely beautiful. If you haven't had the chance to see it, I strongly recommend it. It's just.. stunning. I've been several times while I was high school... although I've not been in recent years.

No matter how many times America is attacked by whoever feels like attacking us, I will never forget the OKC bombing. I was ten years old.

And that was the first time that I didn't feel safe in my country.

No comments: