Sunday, September 13

23 Things: Thing 7

Thing 7 asks participants to explore Web 2.0 communications via email, instant messaging, text messaging, and web conferencing. My library does not utilize email to its full potential and still relies on snail-mailed overdues and phone calls for hold requests that have come in. I've entered new library card holder information and many of the individuals do not provide an email address when applying for a library card. Additionally, there are a lot of older patrons in our area that do not use a computer on a regular basis as well as a large population of patrons that depend upon the library for computer and Internet access.

Between the five library branches within the county, we do rely on instant messaging to interact back and forth. It works out relatively well if someone is at the desk in order to receive the message. Sometimes, it takes a while for a response which is not good if there is a question that must be answered quickly for a patron.

Personally, I think the online techniques of "Ask a Librarian" are really cool. I know that it can be done by email, by chat or instant message, and by text message. While I have never had the opportunity to utilize an online "Ask a Librarian" and am not certain that it would work well in the current library climate that I work in, I really wish that all libraries had the ability (capability) to offer this. I think it would save a lot of time if there was a reference librarian on staff dedicated to helping individuals via the medium they prefer.

I am currently not an active user of instant messaging or chat (with the exception of work). There was once a time when I used instant messaging and chat rooms a lot, but those days have passed. I suppose if the occasion arose that necessitated such a use, I would use them again. I do text message, but rather reluctantly. I wish that I didn't have to add text messaging to my cell phone plan, but, due to the increased use of text messaging by others, I do have a small text messaging plan and do text from time to time. I would rather an individual just call me and speak with me directly if at all possible. I'm just not a fan of typing on little keys.

No comments: