Wednesday, September 30

23 Things: Thing 15

Today, on 23 Things.... online games and games in the library!

Now, at my library, we discourage all games that are not already on the computer (Free Cell, Solitaire, etc). Games, streaming video, music, and the like have a tendency to slow down our computer system (Internet) across the county. So, online games don't have a place in my current library.

However, I looked into the Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) known as Puzzle Pirates. The game comes with tutorials, but it was pretty easy for me to pick up how to do things without reading. This free online game allows users to sail the high seas aboard a pirate ship, playing puzzles in the place of real pirating tasks on ship. I played through a few duty tasks (bilging, carpentry, and sailing) and I have to admit, it was really entertaining!

The game also allows for interactive collaboration among players. A player can converse and play against other players. According to the wiki for the game, there have even been individuals who have met on the game and married in real life! I tried several times to speak to my fellow pirates(not with the intention of marriage, mind you), but no one felt inclined to reply. Additionally, I approached a lad with the intent of speaking to him and an option appeared to make him "me hearty!" I can only imagine that that is pirate-speak for boyfriend or the like, but I didn't go there.

It took me a while (probably ten minute or so) before I realized how to converse with other members. A player must click on the circle around the player he or she wants to speak with and enter his or her words into a chat applet at the bottom of the game. I'm probably just tired (re: dumb) and didn't notice that the chat function was there.

Anyhow, it was an interesting foray into the MMORPG world. Although I do not have time for games or anything really, I added the game to my favorites list. The puzzle games were fun and I'd like to play them again some time.

No comments: