Saturday, October 3

23 Things: Thing 20

Social networking sites are almost unavoidable at this point. I know that they can be avoided, but most individuals I know have a Facebook page or a Myspace page. Many have both. I have had both at one time or another, but I've only kept the Facebook page. I don't care for all the crazy backgrounds and music that can be included in Myspace pages. I realize that the customization is all about creatively expressing one's self. That's fine, but those backgrounds can make things hard to read.

I have seen several Myspace pages maintained by libraries. My library has recently joined Facebook and has created pages for the system and pages for each individual branch. The teens at my branch will soon have a page of their own when I (or they) decide on a name. I've asked for suggestions, but the kids aren't offering much. So, we'll see how that goes.

I've joined several Facebook groups and created one of my own. I think that Facebook's reputation as the fastest growing social network is valid. I mean, the history of Facebook speaks for itself. What started as a small social networking site among a limited number of colleges has expanded to include all individuals across all continents in less than 5 years (I think).

No comments: