Saturday, October 3

23 Things: Thing 19

Back in the day (re: a few years ago), I used to listen to the GrammarGirl podcast regularly. That was my only foray into podcasts.

This Thing required me to seek out podcast and just try them out in general. The Thing also had a link to GCast, which used to be a free, easy way to create a podcast via phone. However, there is now a yearly subscription fee to create a podcast via phone.

I tried out several podcast directories. The easiest one to use (for me) was Podcast Alley. I used a very generic search term (books) and found 200 results. I listened to a few podcasts, but only one kept my attention: Books on the Nightstand. The two podcasters work in the publishing industry and have interesting discussions and reviews of books.

Although I found an interesting podcast, I don't think I'll listen to the podcast regularly. I don't enjoy disembodied voices talking to me. I like to have something to see as well as hear. I've never been a big audio book fan, either. When I was younger, the audio book would be accompanied by the book in print form. I ended up reading ahead of the narrator. And in the car, I rarely listen to the radio (except for 80's night!). It's all CDs of my own mixing all the time.

I also don't think I'll make a podcast of my own any time soon. I could use one to reach out to the teen group at my library, but many of them do not have home computers and use library computers, where listening to things like podcasts are forbidden.

Perhaps in the future, though.

No comments: